Monday, July 13, 2009

Elements in the office...

A company executive walked into my office the other day. I'd been on vacation for a week and she was just itching to catch me up on the office happenings. After a few minutes of finding out which proposals were accepted, and what sales figures were up or down, and who was catching the crap for it, there was a pause...She walked over to my office altar, grabbed the smooth piece of wood I have there and asked, "so is this a Rune stick or something?"



Several thoughts collided in my brain on the way to my mouth. Each one struggling to be the first to get out into the room.



Thought Number One, a particularly volatile creature, wanted to say something about being offended and that picking up things from an altar just isn't cricket. The phrase actually welling up from the depths wasn't quite that polite, contained several expletives and would have landed me a lovely trip to the Human Resources department.



The Second thought rambled on ad nauseum and had something to do with mindfulness, altar etiquette and well, what do you expect if you leave sticks and candles and lovely shiny objects in the office? This reasonable, well meaning voice was quickly drowned out by the Third voice who won the "Well, nobody ever expects me to pop up and be first out, so here I go" award.



"It's not a Rune stick actually" floated out into the space between the office visitor and myself. Followed by "Do you know something about the Runes?"



They didn't. It was something they'd read about and thought I might know something more on. Sort of the way somebody at a party might say to you "So did you catch that great game last night?" They didn't watch the game themselves but you're a fan of that team and it seemed like a pretty easy way to break the ice.



I composed myself, asked the various thoughts bouncing around in my head to "please shhhh" and said "Actually, no. It's one of the elements. You might notice I have something representing water, fire, air and center as well".



My co-worker wanted to know why I had them at work and what they meant. Here's what I said.



Wood: This represents the Earth. It's solid. It's represents the foundation. I hold this piece of bark and it reminds me that this company has a foundation. We have ideals and a company philosophy that we can refer back to when the business feels out of control. The Earth supports everything we are and everything we do. Throughout the day I'll hold this piece of bark (actually or in my thoughts). Occasionally I believe the company acts in a way that diminishes its foundation or, at the very least, seems not to be grounded in our best interests. Sometimes it falls to me to bring the company back to level footing. I check in with myself and confirm that my own foundation is trustworthy first, before commenting. That is how I use Earth in the workplace.



Seashell: This represents the Water. Water is fluid. In motion. Constantly changing. Water both follows the landscape and creates it at the same time. Tides ebb and flow. This is also the nature of our company. There are times when we are awash with terrific ideas and other times when our brain trust well is empty. Employee situations, programs, Executive actions come and go and we must know when to let them float away if they don't serve. I also know that throughout the day, I'm likely to be entrenched in an issue. I reflect on water and see how I am showing up in that situation. Am I the rock in the middle of the bay being pounded by the waters? Am I drowning in an unforgiving sea? Am I shaping the course of the company or am I at low-tide, out of ideas and stagnant? Water reminds me that eventually all of the hard times are washed out to sea and every obstacle, no matter how insurmountable, can be worn down to sand. That is how I use water at work.



Feather: This represents the air. Like Water, there's motion here but it's different. You can't see the air move but you can see the effects of it. Leaves blow around, stuff gets moved from here to there, and on a rare occasion a big enough gust can topple you over. Air can also represent the breath. When the wind starts blowing around the office, so to speak, I stop and take a breath. If I can calm my breathing, perhaps I can bring a calmer breeze to the situation. After the roaring blasts of the hurricane subside, there is still breath. And I mean that... still...breath. Air can also mean lightheartedness and play too. I remind myself that a good laugh is great medicine. And, like water, Air can blow away the crap gathered in the corner and make room for fresh ideas. This is how I use Air at work.



Candle: This represents fire. Passion (professionally speaking), inspiration, the heat generated in good debate (or not so good debate). It's the spark of motivation that can ignite the sales team. It's that great rush and whoosh of the flames as an idea begins to catch and then takes over the company is a fabulous conflagration. It also burns! My temper can be hot and my words can singe like spitting embers. Some fires are dying out and need more fuel to sustain them. I've been known to burn the candle at both ends and that is ultimately not good for me or the company. Thinking about fire, reflecting on what I hold in my hands reminds me to look at my own fire. Am I burning brightly as a beacon for others to be guided by or am I a destructive forest fire? Do I need to become an impenetrable wall of flame to defend an idea? This is how I use Fire throughout the day.



Space: The circle represents Center. It's in the middle. Calm. From the center one can see each of the elements surrounding. The center contains nothing and everything. From the center I can choose clearly which battles to fight, schedule meetings, act as an mediator between departments, unattached to the outcome of the debate. Center is where I need to operate from when going into a negotiation or preparing a presentation for the Executive Committee. Center is where I make good decisions. Another way of saying center is balance and a company needs a certain about of balance to operate properly. Reflecting on center throughout the day reminds me that others may not be centered, I might not be centered and most decisions entered into when I'm/we're not balanced turn out poorly in the end.



After fifteen minutes or so of this conversation, my inquisitive visitor left with a better understanding of my altar and the elements. I sat in my office and thought about what I'd said and how often I forget to pick up the items on my altar and regard them as the living embodiments of what I try to practise each day.



May your work days be blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment