Friday, July 31, 2009

Balance...


I began the week by helping a friend edit an article on Balance, and is often the case, their article got me thinking about the subject. By week's end I found myself completely and utterly out of balance.

I looked at my workload and realized that I'm leaving the office accomplishing almost everything on my to-do list, but I'm not completing each task to satisfaction. The next day, I'm starting in the hole, as it were, and by the end of my day I'm exhausted and frustrated. I've become reactive rather than proactive.

That's really unlike me. There are always projects that I'm juggling, that's business, but I'm an insatiable list maker. I use my white board for daily tasks, weekly goals, monthly projects. I'm usually able to stand in the middle of the storm and work down my lists, but recently it's just not the case.

What happened? Where did the balance go?

First thing I decided to do was focus my attention on the problem. Great! That would restore balance. I'd look at the most pressing projects and knock them out first. I'd re-prioritize the lists. I spent the afternoon drawing up my new plan only to leave the office even more behind (because I'd been planning instead of doing).


Second try at the problem. I started at the top of the list and worked my way down. Locked the door, don't get interrupted and just get back to square one. Great! That would restore the balance. I was late for a meeting and showed up woefully unprepared.

Alright. Focusing on one part of the problem was not the solution. Isolating myself from the realities of the work place was clearly not the answer either. So what lessons are there to draw from magick that could help right this very unbalanced ship?



"And first do no harm". Most pagans are familiar with this phrase. I often think of it to mean doing no harm to "them out there" but it applies to self-harm as well. I have not been kind to myself recently. I have not been eating as well - actually I eat well just not often enough -and without good food to sustain me my energy drops dramatically. I've not been sleeping well. This is due in part to leaving the office late, making my two-hour commute even longer, not relaxing at home and not getting to bed at a reasonable hour.


I've also noticed that I'm forgoing the activities that really make life worth living - sitting with friends, talking with my kids, sitting by an outdoor fire and going for hikes in the glorious hills around my home.


The old saying "all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy!" has never been truer. And interestingly enough, I know that most successful executives take time to be themselves away from the rigours of the office. I've made it a practice over the years to re-charge my batteries often just by taking a little time for myself once a month (the gods know I have the sick time and vacation time just sitting there!).

Balance doesn't come by shifting my attention from one project to another. Shift your weight on bicycle from side to side and your likely to fall off.

Balance can't come from ignoring problems or the workload. Stuffing the closet full of problems only works for so long and then one day you open the closet and it all comes pouring out.

Balance, I believe, comes from...well, being balanced. There is a time for work and a time for rest and they need to be honoured equally.



















2 comments:

  1. Hey G, have you ever read any of Robert Fritz's books on Creating (The Path of Least Resistance, Your Life as Art)? An underlying premise is that we will never get out of that "hole" as long as we are reactive/responsive, trying to fix the problem. Instead, one must come up with the active, superceding goal, that we can fully commit to. The goal (WANT) will naturally pull us forward into achievement, and we will experience unexpected solutions and results along the way. Your revelation of restoring self-care in your life makes a great example of this principle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great book J. I'll look it up. I'm currently re-reading Thomas Moore's "The re-enchatment of everyday life" which explores the idea of bringing the sacred into every aspect of life rather than saving it for high days and holy days.

    G

    ReplyDelete